LST - 602 was laid down on 23 October 1943 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 9 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Adele R. Ziehm; and commissioned on 31 March 1944, Ens. John H. Mehus, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-602 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. In 1946, she was decommissioned and, as a result of hostilities in Korea, the ship was recalled to active service in 1950 and performed service in the Korean theater, Lt. Cmdr. J.C. Whitfield in command.
From 26 November 1951 to 25 July 1952 and from 19 July 1953 to 26 February 1954 and participated in the: Second Korean Winter, from 22 December 1951 to 14 January 1952, 22 February to 11 March 1952 and 20 to 28 March 1952 Korea, Summer-Fall 1953, 27 July 1953
On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Clearwater County (LST-602) after counties in Idaho and Minnesota. The tank landing ship was operated by the Air Force from September 1957 to September 1969 when she was transferred to the temporary custody of the Maritime Administration.
She was struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1972 and sold to Mexico on 30 May 1972 where she served as Manzanillo (ARM-402). LST-602 earned one battle star for World War II service and two battle stars for Korean service.