January 21, 1945
Forever Remembered
USS Ticonderoga CV-14
"Those sailors will be etched forever in the memory of those of us who came back." --Glenn Noffsinger RDM2c

     Just after noon, a kamikaze swooped out of the clouds and plunged toward Ticonderoga. He crashed through her flight deck and his bomb exploded just above her hangar deck. Several planes nearby erupted into flames. Death and destruction abounded. Wounded denizens of the deep often attract predators.      Ticonderoga was no exception. Another plane slipped through and smashed into the starboard side. His bomb set more planes on fire, and injured or killed another 100 sailors. Capt. Kiefer was among those seriously wounded. Yet, Ticonderoga's crew refused to submit. They brought her fires under control not long after 1400; and Ticonderoga retired painfully.
    Years later many who survived that tragic day were asked to recall what they remembered. Though it is painful to recall for most, they did their best just as they did on that fateful day so long ago. Below are some of those memories recalled by crew members.

Glenn Noffsinger RDM2c

    There are two memories that will remain with me forever. One, after two planes hit us, a medic asked me to stay with a wounded sailor until he expired. The sailor begged me to keep him alive so he could go home to his wife and children. As I held his body together he passed away with his family on his mind until the end. To this day I do not know his name or remember his rank. His last words were, "Don't let me die."
    The second memory was being selected at random to serve on the Burial Preparation Detail. We took the remains after preparation to the fantail for burial at sea the next day. With the greatest devotion and with Honors the remains were slipped into the sea to rest there forever. Those families left back home may still be wondering what happened. Believe me, I know. They can now rest in peace as can those sailors who gave their lives in serving their country. Those sailors will be etched forever in the memory of those of us who came back.
    We had the greatest skipper the Navy ever had, Dixie Kiefer. When we went to sea he said he would do his best to bring us back and he did his very best job to do just that.

Frank R. Neubauer EM3c

    The best I can remember, I was assigned as the electrician mate on one of our two 36" searchlights. During GQ that's where I go. On the day we were hit, it was my turn to go below and get some chow. I remember that we had chicken and I was sitting by the ladder. The next thing I remember is that someone at the top of the ladder shouted, "WE HAVE BEEN HIT!" Then a shipmate came falling down the ladder. I was scared and made my way up to the flight deck, only to see my battle station was where we were hit. Then someone said, "Help me dump the ammo from the planes before they catch fire." We pushed planes over the side. That is the best I can remember.

Edgar Newlin AMM3c

    As I remember, it was a nice calm day, which influenced a later decision. I was a plane captain. For anyone that doesn't know what that is. I took care of an airplane, a fighter to be exact. I was suppose to keep it fueled, tied down, cleaned etc. We were suppose to stay with the plane anytime we were at flight quarters if it wasn't tied down.
    At this time we were at flight quarters, but for some reason the lunch had been delayed so my plane was just sitting there. I would have been the third plane launched, one on each catapult, and then mine.
    It was past noon and we hadn't had chow when another plane captain came along and talked me into going. Remember, we were not suppose to leave our plane in that condition, but we did and it probably saved my life. We had just reached the mess hall when the fantail 40s started firing, maybe three or four rounds. Then they started General Quarters, maybe two or three boings, when a suicide plane hit and blew up on the hangar deck. It sounded like a bucket with rocks in it;more of a rattle than an explosion.
    I dropped my tray and started back up the flight deck, but by then smoke was everywhere and some of the hatches had been closed so I had an awful time getting back to my battle station, which was my plane, and when I got there it was gone! Thats was where the jap had hit. He must have aimed for my plane; it went through the flight deck and blew up on the hangar deck. That was what I heard when I was in the mess hall.
    I didn't have a battle station so I just wandered around kind of in a daze. I had no idea what to do. I tried to help others, but I seemed to be in the road.     I don't know how much later it was, it seemed like hours but was probably not over 30 minutes, when I found myself standing on the flight deck, forward of the five-ince guns, watching a second Jap plane heading straight for the island. I just stood there watching because I was sure he would go down. I could see the tracer shells, going through the plane and the pilot.
    It soon became clear that he was going to hit us. About then I realized where I was standing. I looked around;all I could do was jump down to the catwalk and head for the port side under the flight deck. When I was about halfway across I heard the plane hit the island.
    From then on I remembered only flashes of what happened. I remember wandering around, trying to find where I was needed but I don't recall doing anything specific. I still feel the hopeless feeling of not being able to do anything for my friends. I don't remember many names - Selbe walking around holding a big wad of cotton on what was left of his arm. blown off just above his elbow. He died about 2:00 the next morning -shock they said. There was a little boy named Menard, blown in half. He always wore his dog tags on his belt loop, so we could identify him from that. I don't think he was much over fifteen at the time.
    I remember they used our compartment as part of Sick Bay that night so we slept wherever we could. The next day the hospital ship took the wounded and we had burials at sea all afternoon. I have never had any doubt that I was saved by divine intervention. If I had been where I was supposed to be, I would surely have been killed. If we started two minutes later we would have been caught on the hangar deck where all the casualties of the first plne were. If we had gone sooner we might have been back to my plaane and I would have been killed then.
    To this day I do not know who talked me into leaving my plane. I can't even see his face - it seems he was a little heavy but that is all I remember about him. If anyone recognizes himself, please let me know. I would like to thank you.

Dave Kelley

    Most were at noon chow below deck when the Japs came out of nowhere and attacked. They had about 98 planes, 6 were used as observation planes, the rest were Kamikazes loaded with explosives ready to dive into any ship of ours. I ran up on our gun battery, holding a 20mm gun magazine ready to load when the 1st Jap kamikaze plane hit us.
     It went thru the flight deck and exploded on the hanger deck killing and wounding a lot of guys running to their battle stations. I was lucky I was holding a heavy magazine to load. I got blown up in the air and then down, but the weight of the magazine saved from getting blown overboard.
     Now strapped in guns, we were able to start busting ass. We were knocking their planes out pretty good when one more got thru and hit the ship's island where all the officers are running the ship. Capt. Kiefer got 68 separate shrapnel wounds, the executive officer was killed, many others wounded.
     We are now listing badly and fires all over the ship, gasoline flowing all over the deck causing more fires, blow up some of the planes on deck. We had to get out because the fires were hitting us. The Marines, who were able, helped the fire control guys push all the remaining planes off the end of the ship before they caught fire. We then help put out the fires, flood ammunition rooms, help wounded.
     We got out of there with the help of destroyers firepower. The following week we searched and collected all the dead putting them in mattress sacks, burying them at sea during though next week. It was hell.
    I was one of the 1st 100 hit and injured (burns on arms and shoulder, left side and a piece of shrapnel in the stomach, nothing compared to Bob Hoopes (my best man at my wedding), who almost lost his one leg and a lot of other Marines and Sailors.
     We lost 6 Marines that day, and many more Sailors. It took one week for us marines to search and find all the dead bodies. It took us a whole week to bury them at sea. We played "Taps" for each one as we dropped each into the ocean. I still fill up heavy when "Taps" are played and I still hear "the sound of the Plunk in my head when each body hit the ocean water. It stays with you.

^ back to top ^^ Page 2 ^       ^ Page 3 ^

Home     Contact Me

copyright cv14 - © 2002 cv14 - All rights reserved.

"That second plane, it was so like the one everyone in America saw on television on Sept. 11, When it hit, it was just a ball of flames"
-John Austin

-Laurel Phipps USS Flint-

   “The water got real calm, and the sun was shining;  there were all these little whitecap clouds all over the sky,”   “I was going on watch at about 11 in the morning. I was just climbing into the ‘gun tub’ for one of the 20 mm guns, which was my station. A guy from Chicago, who was on watch with me, looked up at the sky and said ‘There’s a kamikaze!’” “I thought he was trying to fool me, and he said, ‘I’m not kidding!’” I strapped myself into the gun mount, but I only got off one round — that’s all. The plane dived into the Ticonderoga and hit the bridge, killing 80-some men.

Unidentified sailor looks after Kamikaze victim

A Sailor's Life in the Pacific
author unknown

Out where there are no Ten Commandments
And a man can raise a thirst
Sails an outcast of civilization
A victim of Life at its worst.

There is in Tropical Waters
A fellow that you have forgot
Who battles ever present weather
And thinks of a certain person an awful lot.

Nobody knows he is living
No one gives a damn
Back home he is soon forgotten
A Sailor of Uncle Sam's.

No place to go on payday
To squander his meager pay
No where to raise Hell for an evening
Only sweat and work every day.

Memories at night of the old times
Ills, no doctor can cure
Heck No, I am no convict
Just a Sailor on Pacific Tour.

There's just one consolation
Gather around and I will tell
When I die I'll go to Heaven
For I've served my Hitch in Hell.

Flight Deck damage after Kamikaze attacks - 21 January 1945